Looking for something crafty to do? Maybe you’re a fan of fabric arts, or perhaps you’re just game to try something new in quarantine, but yarn bowls have been seriously stylish over the past few years and are touted by popular interior design companies, such as Madewell, Wayfair, and Pottery Barn. It makes for great storage and goes well with any type of style, whether you’re into French Country, Rustic, or Coastal. So, let’s get started!
Rope (1/8 – 1/4 inch in diameter)
Scrap yarn in 5 to 7 colors
1. Begin by tying a double knot around the end of the rope using your first yarn color, leaving the rope attached to the spool. Position the yarn tail along the rope and wrap the yarn around both the rope and the tail. Keep wrapping until you’ve done an inch or two.
2. Thread the needle onto the yarn. Begin coiling the yarn wrapped rope. Poke the needle down through the inner part of the coil so the outer part is attached to it. Next, tie a second color to the tail of the first one.
3. Position both tails along the rope this time, and again wrap the yarn around the rope and the tails.
4. After you’ve wrapped about an inch of the second color, thread the needle again and insert it down through the edge of the previous yarn wrapped rope section. Pull it tight and then keep wrapping the yarn around the rope. Sew through the previous rope section every inch or so.
5. Continue in this manner until you’ve reached your desired size, alternating through all of your colors. Keep the first couple of coils flat to create a stable bottom for your bowl, but then begin building the walls of your bowl by stacking the coils more vertically.
6. To finish the bowl, create a loop with the end of the rope and tuck the loop underneath itself and wrap the last yarn color around the two pieces together. Use the yarn to sew it to the coil before it and tie a double knot. Thread the needle if it isn’t already. Feed the yarn tail through the previous yarn wrapped piece and trim the end.
Staying on top of your personal and professional life can be a challenge. At The Heights at Harper’s Preserve Apartments in Conroe, Texas, we hope to make your daily routine a bit easier with tips and tricks that can be applied to every aspect of life.